Hiring 2 PhD students and 1 postdoc for ocean extreme events research!
position to reveal and quantify past changes in ocean extreme events.
PhD position to model the risks of extreme events for marine organisms and ecosystems.
Postdoc position to understand and attribute past and future changes in ocean extreme events.
- June 17: New paper accepted in GRL. We show that hiatus-like decades may occur despite warming of the tropical Pacific and that the global ocean heat uptake tends to slow down during hiatus
- June 17: Got invited to talk at the OCB summer workshop.
- June 17: Together with Niki
Gruber, I will talk at the IBP Friday Seminar: Warming up, turning sour, losing breath.
- May 17: I will give a seminar in Reto Knutti's group at ETH Zürich.
- Mar 17: Giving a talk for the Obwaldner Bürgergemeinden.
- Feb 17: The SNSF awarded a SNSF professorship to me! Link1 and
Link2. I will start my new position at the Climate and Environmental Physics Division at the University of Bern in
- Feb 17: Interested in a lay-summary of our fish paper? Here is the 20min article.
- Dez 16: Limiting global warming to 1.5°C substantially improves fish catch potential. Link to our new study published in Science.
- Dez 16: My ETH Blog entry has also been published on the bluewin.ch sustainability blog.
- Nov 16: Our paper about the implications of the Paris Agreement for marine fisheries has been accepted for Science.
- Nov 16: Invited attendee at the WCRP Grand Challenge on Carbon Feedbacks in the Climate
System kick-off meeting
Nov 16: Guest speaker at GEOMAR SFB754 PhD and postdoc retreat
- Nov 16: Seminar talk at University of Basel
- Sep 16: My ETH Blog entry about marine heatwaves is online! Link
- Aug 16: New study published in Global Biogeochemical Cycles entitled "Sources of uncertainties in 21st century projection of potential marine ecosystem stressors"
- Jun 16: New Paper out: Tambora
eruption and its effect on climate and the carbon cycle.
- Jun 16: Will be giving a seminar at MPI on June 8.
- May 16: News and Views article in Nature Climate Change published.
- May 16: Markus Hofmann, Portrait: 'Tausend Jahre im Blick': Die Zeit. 4. Mai 2016 [PDF]
- April 16: Our paper by Carter et al. shows that ocean acidification-related alkalinity trends in the ocean can be detected earlier
using salinity-normalized alkalinity.
- Mar. 16: Do CMIP5 models overestimate volcanic-indued cooling after volcanic eruptions? No, according to our new study by Lehner et al.
- Mar. 16: Panel member at Jorge Sarmiento's symposium
- Feb. 16: New paper out! We explore the skill in projecting the occurrence of exploited species and distribution of observed
Feb. 16: Talking at Ocean
Sciences Meeting in New Orleans about confidence and uncertainty in projections of potential marine ecosystem stressors under climate change.
- Feb. 16: Session convener at Ocean Sciences Meeting entitled 'Ocean heat and carbon uptake and storage: Observations, mechanisms, and feedbacks'
- Jan. 16: To improve our understanding of future changes in living marine resources and the resulting risk of impacts to ecosystems and societies under changing ocean conditions,
the new study, published in the ICES Journal of Marine Science, synthesize knowledge of how to address different sources of uncertainty by drawing from climate model inter comparison efforts
- Jan. 16: Good start into the new year! Paper about 'Structural uncertainty in projecting global fisheries catches under climate change' has been accepted for publication in Ecological
Dec. 15: 3 Talks at AGU Fall meeting in San Francisco: Invited Talk 1, Talk 2, Talk 3.
Dec. 15: New paper about 'Sources of uncertainties in 21st century projections of potential marine ecosystem stressors' submitted.
Nov. 15: New paper about "Building confidence in projection of the response of living marine resources to climate change" has been accepted for publication in ICES Journal Marine
- Nov. 15: New Southern Ocean heat/carbon CLIVAR newsletter published. Here it is.