- Oct 18: Mentioned in the news: Story about ocean oxygen decline: Oceana
- Sep 18: Mentioned in the news: Story about coral reefs: Axios
- Aug 18: New paper out in Global Change Biology showing that local actions through effective fisheries management can reduce the probability of those species' extinction risk by as much as 63
percent [Link][Media release]
August 15 2018: Our marine heatwave paper released in Nature.
We show that marine heatwaves have increased in recent decades and will increase further in terms of frequency, intensity, duration and spatial extent.
Full access (read only): here
Nature podcast (starts at 06:28): here
Nature News: here
Media release University of Bern: English, Deutsch
Media coverage: Tagesanzeiger, Blick, SDA, NYTIMES, PHYS.ORG, Earther, Carbonbrief, AXIOS, Le Parisien, Correio
Brasiliense, Klimareporter, Forbes, and others.
- Jul 18: Attending LAM3 of IPCC SROCC in Lanzhou, China.
- Jun 18: Giving a talk at U Liverpool. Thanks Ric for hosting me!
- Jun 18: New paper coming out soon on 'Opportunities for climate-risk reduction through effective fisheries management'.
- Jun 18: Giving talk at the Nereus Annual Meeting.
- Jun 18: Giving a talk at Princeton University.
- Jun 18: New paper out in ESD showing that sea level, ocean acidification, regional warming and ocean circulation are very different under an overshoot pathway at 2100, despite hitting the
1.5°C target for surface warming [Link].
- Jun 18: Talking about changes in marine heatwaves under global warming at ECCWO.
- Jun 18: Convening a session about ocean extremes at ECCWO in Washington DC.
- May 18: Giving seminar talk about marine heatwaves at Institute for Geography at UBern [Link]
- May 18: New paper out that shows how global warming may shift the geographic distribution of 686 marine species that inhabit North America's Atlantic and Pacific continental shelves
[Link][Lay Summary1][Lay Summary2][Lay Summary3][Lay
- Apr 18: Organized WCRP Grand Challenge workshop on carbon-climate feedbacks at University of Bern
- Apr 18: Mentioned in the news: Der Golfstrom schwächelt [Tagesanzeiger / Süddeutsche Zeitung]
- Apr 18: Mentioned in the news: Marine heat waves have become more likely over the past century [carbonbrief.org[
- Apr. 18: New paper accepted by James Morley et al. on 'Projecting shifts in thermal habitat for 686 species on the North American continental shelf'.
- Feb 18: New Paper out by Ana Franco contrasting the impact of future CO2 emissions on the extent of acidification in the Humboldt Current System.[LINK]
- Feb 18: Sandra Striegel won 'Young Academics Support' grant from the University of Bern. Congratulations!
- Feb 18: Comment about 'Emerging risks from marine heat waves' published today in Nature Communications. Link
- Feb 18: Attended the IPCC SROCC LAM2 in Quito. Was very exciting!
- Jan 18: New paper out in JGR that quantifies the equilibrium climate sensitivity using multi-millennial simulations of the GFDL models. Link
- Nov 17: New paper submitted showing how the climate system differs when achieving the 1.5°C limit by rapid emissions reductions versus when we overshoot this limit. [Link]
- Nov 17: Presented my OceanX project at the CEP seminar.
- Oct 17: New paper out about drivers of continued surface warming after stoppage of carbon emissions: Link
- Aug 17: Gave a talk about ocean extremes at ICDC10 in Interlaken.
- Aug 17: Selected as a lead author on chapter six of the IPCC Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a changing climate: see for details here.
- Aug 17: Mentioned in the news: here
- Aug 17: Starting my new position as SNF Assistant Professor at University of Bern. Very much looking forward to it.
- June 17: New paper accepted in GRL. We show that hiatus-like decades may occur despite warming of the tropical Pacific and that the global ocean heat uptake tends to slow down during hiatus
- June 17: Got invited to talk at the OCB summer workshop.
- June 17: Together with Niki
Gruber, I will talk at the IBP Friday Seminar: Warming up, turning sour, losing breath.
- May 17: I will give a seminar in Reto Knutti's group at ETH Zürich.
- Mar 17: Giving a talk for the Obwaldner Bürgergemeinden.
- Feb 17: The SNSF awarded a SNSF professorship to me! Link1 and
Link2. I will start my new position at the Climate and Environmental Physics Division at the University of Bern in
- Feb 17: Interested in a lay-summary of our fish paper? Here is the 20min article.
- Dez 16: Limiting global warming to 1.5°C substantially improves fish catch potential. Link to our new study published in Science.
- Dez 16: My ETH Blog entry has also been published on the bluewin.ch sustainability blog.
- Nov 16: Our paper about the implications of the Paris Agreement for marine fisheries has been accepted for Science.
- Nov 16: Invited attendee at the WCRP Grand Challenge on Carbon Feedbacks in the Climate
System kick-off meeting
Nov 16: Guest speaker at GEOMAR SFB754 PhD and postdoc retreat
- Nov 16: Seminar talk at University of Basel
- Sep 16: My ETH Blog entry about marine heatwaves is online! Link
- Aug 16: New study published in Global Biogeochemical Cycles entitled "Sources of uncertainties in 21st century projection of potential marine ecosystem stressors"
- Jun 16: New Paper out: Tambora
eruption and its effect on climate and the carbon cycle.
- Jun 16: Will be giving a seminar at MPI on June 8.
- May 16: News and Views article in Nature Climate Change published.
- May 16: Markus Hofmann, Portrait: 'Tausend Jahre im Blick': Die Zeit. 4. Mai 2016 [PDF]
- April 16: Our paper by Carter et al. shows that ocean acidification-related alkalinity trends in the ocean can be detected earlier
using salinity-normalized alkalinity.
- Mar. 16: Do CMIP5 models overestimate volcanic-indued cooling after volcanic eruptions? No, according to our new study by Lehner et al.
- Mar. 16: Panel member at Jorge Sarmiento's symposium
- Feb. 16: New paper out! We explore the skill in projecting the occurrence of exploited species and distribution of observed
- Feb. 16: Talking at Ocean Sciences
Meeting in New Orleans about confidence and uncertainty in projections of potential marine ecosystem stressors under climate change.
- Feb. 16: Session convener at Ocean Sciences Meeting entitled 'Ocean heat and carbon uptake and storage: Observations, mechanisms, and feedbacks'
- Jan. 16: To improve our understanding of future changes in living marine resources and the resulting risk of impacts to ecosystems and societies under changing ocean conditions,
the new study, published in the ICES Journal of Marine Science,synthesize knowledge of how to address different sources of uncertainty by drawing from climate model inter comparison efforts
- Jan. 16: Good start into the new year! Paper about 'Structural uncertainty in projecting global fisheries catches under climate change' has been accepted for publication in Ecological
- Dec. 15: 3 Talks at AGU Fall meeting in San Francisco: Invited Talk 1, Talk 2, Talk 3.
- Dec. 15: New paper about 'Sources of uncertainties in 21st century projections of potential marine ecosystem stressors' submitted.
- Nov. 15: New paper about "Building confidence in projection of the response of living marine resources to climate change" has been accepted for publication in ICES Journal Marine Science.
- Nov. 15: New Southern Ocean heat/carbon CLIVAR newsletter published. Here it is.
- Oct. 15: Paper about radiative forcing, ocean heat uptake and climate sensitivity just published in Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere. Check it out.
- Aug. 15: Great Ars Technica article about our recent ERL paper. Thanks Scott Johnson!
Aug. 15: Paper entitled: Sensitivity of radiative forcing, ocean heat uptake and climate feedbacks to changes in anthropogenic greenhouse gases and aerosols" accepted
and online available.
- July 15: Reply to comment to our Physics Today Southern Ocean paper published.
July 15: TCRE/2°C
paper published in ERL!
- June 15:TCRE paper accepted for publication in Environmental Research Letters.
- June 15: Paper about emergence of multiple ocean ecosystem drivers published in Biogeosciences
- Apr 15: New paper about the relationship between global warming and cumulative carbon emissions submitted.
Apr 15: Talking about volcanic eruptions and the carbon cycle
- Feb 15: New master thesis opportunity available.
Jan 15: New review paper about Upwelling in the Southern Ocean published in
Dec 14: New paper about emergence of multiple ocean ecosystem drivers
in a large initial ensemble with and earth system model submitted to Biogeosciences Discussions.
- Dec 14: The new CMIP5 heat/carbon paper is highlighted in the recent Nature Climate Change issue.
- Dec 14: Talk
and poster presentations at AGU Fall Meting 2014 in San Francisco: Topics include (i) Time of emergence in multiple ocean ecosystem stressors, (ii) Recovery of deep ocean circulation in a
warming climate, (iii) Continued global warming after CO2 emissions stoppage
- Nov 14: Talk at Physcial Oceanography and Climate Seminars at NOC Southampton.
- Oct 14: New paper about anthropogenic carbon & heat uptake by the ocean
accepted for Journal of Climate.
- Jun 14: Talking about regional ocean heat uptake and transient climate change at Latsis Symposium ETH
- Apr 14: BEST PAPER AWARD: The paper 'Ongoing global warming after CO2 emissions
stoppage' has received the Best Paper award of the Carbon Mitigation Initiative at Princeton University.
- Feb 14: Talking about new insights into irreversible climate change at IAC, ETH Zürich,
- Feb 13: New paper about ongoing global warming after a stoppage of CO2 emissions published in Nature Climate Change (press release ETH Zurich & Princeton University)
- Dec 13: Talk and Poster presentation at AGU Fall Meeting 2013 in San Francisco
- Oct 13: Talking about irreversible climate change at KUP, University of Bern,
- Sep 13: Talking about new insights into cumulative carbon emissions and irreversible climate change
at NOAA GFDL, Princeton, US.